Songs to rebuild Christchurch

What are your favourite tunes of all time?

Mick Jagger and Bruce Springsteen

CARLO ALLEGRI/Reuters

FAVOURITES: Mick Jagger, of the Rolling Stones, and Bruce Springsteen

Antonia Hewitt

DANCING QUEEN: Ballet dancer Antonia Hewitt

Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority chief executive Roger Sutton reveals his top 10 songs of all time:

1. Midnight Rambler, The Rolling Stones.

2. The River, Bruce Springsteen.

3. Superstition, Stevie Wonder.

4. Hey Jude, The Beatles.

5. I See Red, Split Enz.

6. Folsom Prison Blues, Johnny Cash.

7. London Calling, The Clash.

8. Respect, Aretha Franklin.

9. Don't Dream It's Over, Crowded House.

10. Fortunate Son, Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Antonia Hewitt, a dancer with the Royal New Zealand Ballet, gives us her top 10 tracks:

1. Stars, from the musical Les Miserables. It is probably my favourite musical and it doesn't have a single song I don't love to bits. Stars just has something amazing and magical about it and it always sends me off into a different world.

2. Everyday, by Buddy Holly. This song reminds me of my childhood with my sister. I grew up listening to older music thanks to my dad, and Buddy Holly was always a favourite.

3. Silver Bells, sung by Doris Day. I love Christmas. It is my favourite time of year. Everyone makes that extra effort to be happy and spend more time with family and friends. Silver Bells sets the perfect, cosy, Christmassy mood.

4. If I Didn't Have a Dime, by Gene Pitney. An oldie again but a goody. Most of the music I listen to is from the 1950s, 60s and 70s. They definitely knew how to write music back then.

5. Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes, by Paul Simon. I'm a huge Simon and Garfunkel fan and when I first saw the DVD of Paul Simon's Graceland I was hooked. All the songs are so moving and soulful, but I especially love this one.

6. Piano Concerto No. 1 in B Flat Minor, by Tchaikovsky. This piece reminds me of my mum. When I was little she used to play the piano to put my sister and me to sleep. She played a few different pieces, but this one was always my favourite. It is so powerful and I still listen to it these days to relax. Tchaikovsky is also my favourite composer. Pure genius.

7. In My Life, by The Beatles. I get my love for The Beatles from my dad. They have been constantly playing throughout my life, so it would seem weird if one of their songs wasn't on my iPod. I love the lyrics in this song.

8.Me Ol' Bamboo, from the musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Just thought I'd throw another musical in the mix. Dick Van Dyke is one of my idols. His energy, humour and charisma is so great to watch, and his performance in this particular scene is awesome.

9. Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, sung by Frank Sinatra of course. Again, such a cosy Christmas song and anything sung by Frank is dreamy. This song is a classic.

10. Moon River, sung by Henry Mancini or Andy Williams. I first heard this song when I was little watching Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time. Ever since I have loved Audrey Hepburn. She was an extraordinary woman who had an extraordinary life and I especially love her in this film. This song always reminds me of her.

Tell us your favourite songs of all time in the comments field below.

- © Fairfax NZ News

Comments

Read More @ Source



More Celeb Stories Here