Betty Brisk meets: Debra Stephenson

EACH week Betty, The Sun's Mistress Of Modern Manners, grills a celebrity on stuff they'd rather not talk about.

Here, impressionist DEBRA STEPHENSON reveals why her hubby prefers her not to be Anne Robinson, plus why she has Jordan's knockers.

IT'S not all glamour, is it Debra, the life of a showbiz personality? Tell us all about the time you accidentally showed your gusset...

It wasn't my gusset! The story is this — I did the opening number in Aladdin a few years ago and I wondered what all the sniggering was from the dancers behind me. It was only when I got off stage that I was told I was without pants.

Of course, I did have knickers on underneath my thick flesh-coloured tights, but I admit I forgot to put my over-knickers on, which must have been an alarming sight for the front row.

I had to endure loads of gags throughout the rest of the panto about "a lad in tights (but no knickers)" etc.

I hear a man in the audience at your first comedy gig bared his bum at you. If that happens to me (one never knows), what's the best way to handle it?

I asked the chap, "How dare you show your face around here?"

Then I told him "That's not your face, is it? It's so hard to tell the difference."

But surely no one messes with you, Mrs Brisk?

You're famous for your impressions. It must sometimes be embarrassing to bump into one of your "victims". Have you ever hidden in the loo to avoid a confrontation?

Hiding in the loo is a risky business. You never know if that person may pop into the cubicle next door and get their own back.

Could anyone impersonate you?

They'd have a job. Even I don't know how I talk because my accent's all over the place.

When I was at school someone wrote graffiti on the wall saying that I sounded like Minnie Mouse on helium, which is probably why I spend most of my time using someone else's voice.

Does your builder husband James Duffield ever request an impression? I suspect that Mr Brisk would often prefer me to be someone else.

It's more the other way around. I think there are some people he'd prefer me not to be in certain situations, if you know what I mean. I've been told off before for doing Anne Robinson at an inopportune moment.

You're a bit of a hoarder. What do you keep "just in case"?

Lots of props, including Katie Price's knockers. Well, you never know.

Is it true you still wear clothes you've had since the Eighties? Isn't that taking thriftiness a little bit too far?

I'll have the last laugh when lace fingerless gloves come back in!

"I really love the cosy feel of a new pair of socks" – you actually said that. Why? You'll never achieve a glamourous image that way, my dear.

We're talking cashmere, darling, not nylon pop socks.

If there was something really sneaky you could get away with in disguise, what would it be?

I'd be Kate Middleton for the day, then I wouldn't have to sneak anywhere — I'd have VIP access to all the front-row fashion shows and sports events. Everything from Wimbledon to the rugby Six Nations.

Come to that, never mind the Royal Box, I could morph into a physiotherapist and get my hands on those pulled hamstrings. Oops, I've gone too far now. Miss Brisk, you're a bad influence.

Lately you've turned into a bit of a domestic goddess, doing cookery shows and talking about healthy food. Not many laughs in that, surely?

Some of Britain's TV cooks are hilarious. Haven't you ever seen my Fanny...Cradock impression, Miss Brisk?


Debra is backing Red Tractor Week, in support of British farmers, from September 24 to 30.

For information, see redtractor.org.uk/RedTractorWeek2012.

Read More @ Source



More Celeb Stories Here