Cosmo editor donates $30 million to Columbia, Stanford

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Longtime Cosmopolitan editor Helen Gurley Brown is donating $ 30 million to Columbia University and Stanford University to establish a media institute in honor of her late husband, the schools announced on Monday.

The David and Helen Gurley Brown Institute for Media Innovation will encourage new media, promote innovation and prototypes and "recognize the increasingly important connection between journalism and technology," the schools said in a joint statement.

David Brown, who died early last year, graduated from Stanford and the Columbia School of Journalism. He was a Hollywood producer whose hits included "The Sting," "Cocoon" and "Driving Miss Daisy."

Each school will receive $ 12 million for the new institute. The gift to Columbia's Journalism School in New York, the largest in its history, will endow a professorship that will serve as the institute's east coast director.

The gift to Stanford's Engineering School in Palo Alto, California will endow the position of the west coast director.

Another $ 6 million will go to Columbia for construction of a "highly visible signature space" that will feature a state-of-the-art high-tech newsroom, the schools said.

"Great content needs useable technology," Helen Gurley Brown said in a statement. "Sharing a language is where the magic happens."

Brown, 89, was editor from 1965 to 1996 at Cosmopolitan, a lively, sometimes racy, magazine aimed largely at single women during her tenure. She also has written several books, including the groundbreaking and popular "Sex and the Single Girl" in 1962.

(Editing By Ellen Wulfhorst and Paul Thomasch)

Read More @ Source

Taylor Swift - Mine WITH LYRICS [HQ sound]

Taylor Swift's 'Mine' from her third studio album Speak Now. Oh, oh, oh Oh, oh, oh You were in college, working part-time waiting tables Left a small town, never looked back I was a flight risk with a fear of falling Wondering why we bother with love if it never lasts I say, "can you believe it" As we're lying on the couch The moment I can see it Yes, yes, I can see it now Do you remember we were sitting there by the water You put your arm around me for the fist time You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter You are the best thing that's ever been mine Flash forward and we're taking on the world together And there's a drawer of my things at your place You learn my secrets and you figure out why I'm guarded You say we'll never make my parents' mistakes But we got bills to pay We got nothing figured out When it was hard to take Yes, yes, this is what I thought about Do you remember we were sitting there by the water You put your arm around me for the first time You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter You are the best thing that's ever been mine Do you remember all the city lights on the water You saw me start to believe for the first time You made a rebel of a careless man's careful daughter You are the best thing that's ever been mine Oh, oh, oh, oh And I remember that fight, 2:30 am As everything was slipping right out of our hands I ran out crying and you followed me out into the street Braced myself for the goodbye 'Cause that's all I've ever ...

Video Rating: 4 / 5



More Celeb Stories Here