Coronation Street star Sally Dynevor ready to rebel at 50 after cancer battle

By Liz Thomas

Last updated at 2:33 AM on 27th December 2011

Coronation Street star Sally Dynevor is the first to admit she's always been a bit of a goody two-shoes in real life.

But her very public battle with breast cancer has left the soap icon in a different frame of mind as she approaches 50.

In a frank interview, the actress says she's fighting back to fitness and now it's time to do something 'naughty'.

Age is just a number: Sally Dynevor dons a leather biker jacket for a photoshoot

Age is just a number: Sally Dynevor dons a leather biker jacket for a photoshoot

'I feel as though I'm starting to enter a new time in my life,' she said. 'I'm really excited about the future.

'As I get older I want to break the  rules and be a bit rebellious. I've been  so good for such a long time I just want to do something naughty. I want to do as much as I can. I just want to fill every minute of every day.'

Mrs Dynevor, who plays Sally Webster, was diagnosed with cancer after a Coronation Street plotline – in which her character developed the disease – inspired her to check her own breasts.

In November last year she began a gruelling course of chemotherapy which led to her losing her hair.

Cancer fight: Sally had months of therapy

Cancer fight: Sally had months of therapy

'I've learnt that whatever happens to us, it's just life's path,' she said. 'So many people go through breast cancer. I'm not the only one, there are thousands. But it gave me great comfort to talk to other women going through the same thing.'

The mother-of-three confessed that she now wanted to try a backpacking holiday or working in New York as a waitress.

She told Woman magazine: 'I was talking to some of the Corrie girls and we all said 50 is the new 40, isn't it?

'Fifty-year-olds now aren't dressing like my mother's generation did. I still want to be wearing a leather jacket and skinny jeans. Being 50 is just a number and it's about how you feel in your head. I'm sure there are exciting times to come.'

Mrs Dynevor, who was previously known as Sally Whittaker, has said that the ITV soap could potentially have saved her life because it was only the storyline that caused her to check herself and find a lump.

The early diagnosis gave her a better chance at beating the disease.

'If I had not been researching this storyline, I may not have discovered the lump in my breast and had it looked at so quickly,' she said in a interview.

'I had never properly checked my breast before because I thought this wasn't going to happen to me.'

Mrs Dynevor said she had ignored a  lump she had felt while on holiday  earlier last year, but was inspired by her scenes to have it checked by a nurse.

The nurse immediately booked her a hospital appointment and she was diagnosed with a 1.8cm grade one tumour. The tests also revealed that the diseased cells had spread to six of the lymph nodes under one arm.

Woman magazine

The actress, who is married to scriptwriter Tim Dynevor with whom she has three children – Sam, 14, and daughters Phoebe, 16, and Hattie, eight – then underwent months of chemotherapy, losing much of her hair.

She  continued to play her character Sally, who was facing a similar  situation in the soap.

Mrs Dynevor, who has starred in Coronation Street for 25 years, insisted she was happy to keep working on the show.

'I've had so many good stories. If my storylines had dried up I would have left a long time ago,' she said. 'That's not to say I might not venture off and do a bit of theatre when I get older.

'There are times when I see something and think, "I'd really like to be doing that", but the reality is I wouldn't get home at night to put my kids to bed.  Corrie suits my life and that's why I've stayed so long.'

Alongside her latest interview she posed in a daytime biker jacket and figure-hugging  trousers to illustrate how she  is beginning to get her life back  to normal.

Read More @ Source



More Celeb Stories Here